Activate your Crisis Team
- Convene the right people quickly
- How will you contact them?
- Determine roles and responsibilities
- Who will be physically present and who will dial in?
Consider the Facts and Impacts
- What impact is this issue having on your organisation
- What is being said on social media?
- Get situation reports from all areas of your business
- Log and time stamp information as it arrives
Top Level Objective
- What is your overarching goal to overcome this problem?
- What does good look like?
- What will satisfy your various stakeholders?
- This must to be shared company-wide
- Talk to the troops, let staff know what’s going on, you’re going to need their help
- It might be appropriate to say something publicly
- When video emerged of a United Airlines passenger being hauled off a flight the airline took a long time to respond and then apologised for having to ‘re-accommodate’ passengers.
- How often will the crisis team meet?
- Assign tasks
- Log Actions and Decisions
- Do you need extra resources? More people, technology, transport?
- Where might this issue go next?
- What bad turns could it take?
- Keep asking the ‘What if?’ questions